Annual Tucson Birthday Stamp Design Contest for Kids
Have fun celebrating Tucson’s birthday by designing a postage stamp! Tucson was incorporated on August 20, 1775, and we are celebrating the 240th birthday! There are three youth age categories. Winning designs will be featured on the Postal History Foundation web site and local media. The grand winning design will be used to print custom stamps that are legal for postage. Three of the winning designs will be chosen as cachets to be printed on envelopes to commemorate Tucson’s birthday. All 1st –5th place winners of each age group will be given several prizes along with ribbons and certificates. The custom stamps and cachets will be availale for sale the day of the party and afterwards as a fundraiser for the YES program.
Directions and Rules: Only students from Tucson and surrounding areas may enter.
Download the contest rules and entry form from our website. Print the stamp outline on white paper. Make sure it takes up the whole 8½ x 11 page. Or drop by the Postal History Foundation and pick up a copy.
Use the whole sheet of paper (8½ by 11) with the stamp outline on it.
- All designs submitted must reflect some aspect of Tucson’s history, culture and/or citizenry.
- Do not write words or numbers on your design. You may draw your picture vertical or horizontal.
- No artwork may be submitted that is already owned and copyrighted by another individual or company. Artwork must be done by the entrant. Photographs and computer generated pictures are not allowed. The artwork must be done on the paper that is submitted with the correct stamp outline. Artwork that is inappropriate or unsuitable for publication will be deemed ineligible for the contest.
- All entries become the property of the Postal History Foundation. Winners must consent to the PHF using their names and artwork in its publicity, website and exhibits. Entrants and their families will not receive compensation for the use of designs submitted, or photographs of the artist. By submitting an entry to this contest, the entrant is agreeing to transfer any copyrights of his/her artwork to the PHF for exclusinve use for marketing, eduation, and publicity materials.
- Designs and entry forms must be received by 2:30 p.m. at the Postal History Foundation on Friday, July 31, 2015.
Address: 920 N. First Ave., Tucson, AZ 85719 – 520-623-6652
The foundation is open Monday thru Friday, 8 a.m.-3 p.m.
- All entries will be judged according to age category. 1st-5th place winners will be given ribbons and prizes. Winners agree to accept prizes “as is”. Any prizes unclaimed or deemed undeliverable may be forfeited or awarded to an alternate winner.
- A special "Tucson Birthday Party" will be held on Friday, August 21, 2015, from 10-11:30 am and is open to the public. Refreshments will be served. Awards and the unveiling of the winning stamp designs will happen at the party. The award winners will be excused from classes to participate in the awards party. Official excuse letters will be provided for those who attend. Local media will be in attendance.
- Winning designs will be displayed and exhibited at the PHF from August 24, 2015 through August of the next year. At that point in time they will be mailed back to the family.
- Winners will be selected by a local panel of individuals with experience in history, art/graphic design, public relations, and stamp collecting.
- Winners will be notified between August 3-14 2015.
- Winners will be expected to attend the birthday event on Friday, August 21, 2015, to claim their prizes. Those attending will be given official letters of excuse for school attendance records. The party is designed to give gull attention to the young artists. Siblings who attend will also be allowed to choose from a variety of special stamps, pins, and covers to take home.
- The Postal History Foundation reserves the right to change the rules or cancel the contest at any time at its sole discretion. Limitation of Liability – Participants hold harmless the Postal History Foundation and its representatives, officers, directors and employees from any injuries, losses, damages, claims, actions or any liability of any kind resulting from participation in this contest.